Wednesday, October 14, 2009

An Apple A Day...


My job is odd at best. I walk into a doctor's office, tell them I sell a "probiotic", and ask to see the physician. Normally the initial conversation goes like this:

Me: "Hi! My name is Yaya and I work for a company called XYZ".
Receptionist: "Umm. Hi."
"What are your policies on seeing Representatives?"
"What do you sell?"
"A probiotic."
"A what?"
"A probiotic. Healthy bacteria for your intestines."
"Oh. Hold on a sec. Maria! There's a Rep here."
Maria: "Hi."
Me: "Hi! My name is Yaya and I work for a company called XYZ".
"Oh hi."
"I was wondering what your policies are on seeing Reps."
"What do you have?"
"A Probiotic."
"Oh like yogurt?"
"Well a yogurt is bovine bacteria and this product is human." (Why I go into this at this point I have no idea)
"Oh. You need to schedule a lunch."
"Ok when is a good time?"
"How about November 2nd, 2010?"
"Ummm...(looking at phone schedule that took me 30 minutes to scroll to) oh ok I'm free."

It is the most bizarre job and I don't think many people would want to do it. You have to walk into a cranky office and try to get the Receptionists to like you, to want you to come to lunch. And when you finally do have lunch it is expensive and in some of the creepiest locations.

Yesterday I had lunch at a really nice OB/GYN office. When I reached the lunch room I realized that my eating area was 1 foot away from the autoclave (where they sterilize OB/GYN tools). And not only where the tools are sterilized but where they are dropped off...after each exam.

So there I am pounding lo mien, beef and broccoli, and cashew chicken when in walks Lee with some recently used who-ha exam tools. Delicious! To top it of the physician told me 4-5 times that she really wanted to talk to me and to "pleeease wait I'm so sorry I'm just really busy" (I know I saw all the exam tools). Two hours later I'm wondering if the whole office thinks I'm a total chump for keeping the autoclave company. What did I do for two hours? Smile at the Medical Assistants bringing in the tools, read my fave blog 'selfabsorbed.me', and ate my face off.

When I finally got summonsed into the doctor's office she said I'm really sorry, thank you for waiting, I'm swamped, you'll have to talk while I multitask. OooooK. So I did. She listened and I left after 45 seconds.

And do I meet hot doctors? No, they don't seem to exist.

Curtsy. That is my freaking job.

1 comment:

  1. Pharma or nutraceutical sales rep? I work in healthcare/corporate PR so I'm familiar with the life of a rep. It has it's ups and downs - at least you don't let the bad parts get ya down. If I were a rep, I'd prob get into a fight or two with the docs ;)

    p.s. Thanks for the selfabsorbed.me shout!

    ReplyDelete