Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Ain't to Proud to Scoot



People walk a lot in New York. That is not a secret. Some people do not have the capability or the time to walk far distances. That is not a secret either and actually the reason why public transportation exists. So why, oh why are people over the age of 14 scooting all over the place? The typical demographic of the scooter falls into 2 categories. The first being the most obvious...the child. A child, any child, absolutely has the right to scoot. Scoot in circles. Scoot on the sidewalks. Scoot while being yelled at by their nanny. Scoot kids for it is the only time in your life it is acceptable to do so.

It is the second group of people that disturbs me. Men and women over the age of 45. The man in the above picture is actually smoking a cig, as you can see has white hair, and is scooting through the park. At least twice a day I see people just like him scooting all over the Upper East Side. A bike? Acceptable. Roller blades? Nerdy but acceptable. A razor scooter? Total Geekdom.

Maybe I have too many guidelines to living and I am truly missing out on an amazing form of transportation. However the razor scooter is super geeky, looks amazingly unsafe, and, AND they are made for kids not geeky white haired smokers. Just sayin'.

1 comment:

  1. HAHA I actually just saw a kid on a scooter last night on my way home from the gym and thought, hmmmmm it might be nice to travel around town on one of those things. But, then I realized what a loser I would probably look like and decided against it. Well, that and the fact that I'm too lazy and poor to go out and buy one :)

    ReplyDelete