Monday, November 9, 2009

Dear Diary,


The problem with starting a blog is that if you make it 100% anonymous you don't get the joy of sharing your posts with friends and family. The problem with announcing your blog is that you now have to remember who you invited and try not to write shit about them. You also have to monitor what/how much you are sharing. Especially if your mom and dad read it like mine do. Not that I wanna talk smack about them but that some things need editing.

There have been a few friends I have left off intentionally because my initial blogs were about them. I have somehow still managed to keep in touch with these notoriously jerky friends. And when I've had a few drinks and happen to talk to them on the phone I have to make a serious effort not to blurt out "I have a blog". In which case I would have to feign not knowing the real blog web address. Awkward and hopefully avoidable even with my big, beer-guzzling mouth.

I am truthful in most of my blogs but I certainly do not include certain details just because I know just about everyone reading this. Although I have had increasingly more hits (it's probably just my mom checking it everyday). So the question then is how much is too much? Not like I'm a closeted crystal meth addict (Agassi) but certain details of my life I share with a select few, if at all. Therefore I do feel restricted. That stuff I mostly share with my journal.

I would love to write a book and am preparing to interview my 92 year old grandmother named Harriett. She is an enigma to me. She was always just my grammy but I know nothing about her life. She can be amazingly honest and open at times and then switch to meek and tight lipped. So I am wondering how much she will be willing to share with me knowing that I will be on Oprah one day telling the nation about the life of Harriett (putting The Secret to work here people). Will she get "nervous in the service", as she loves to say, or will she freely share intimate details of her life. What would I do? Will I die and burn all my journals with me or will I choose to share them? How much sharing is too much?

1 comment:

  1. It is very difficult, that line between being anon and being known is very gray and eventually if you become popular everyone figures out who it is anyway...I would recommend censoring as little as possible, just so you stay true to the nature of 'bloggin'. :)

    ReplyDelete