Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Oh Glorious Bath


Throughout my life I have had many ups and downs as I know everyone does (except for Miley Cyrus who is always up). What exactly is the reason behind the oscillation? It is certainly too complex to attribute each shift to a single action, thought, or event. I am currently attempting to exit a low point and looking up. Begging for up. Working hard for up.

My friend D called me tonight to ask how I was doing. She was overly worried. I guess now that I am older I am more vocal about how I am feeling and what is truly going on in my life. Maybe I just understand why I feel unrest in the first place. I came to NYC thinking that it was a new life for me full of activities, museums, bands, friends, fun, and men. And that is exactly what it has been. That was when I realized that something is missing. So what am I missing???

Is it that I miss being close to my parents, Nat, and D? But I lived there and was restless. Is it the job? I have no idea what I actually want to do. Is it the desire for a relationship? I love being in love but I also love not having to compromise right now. Do I desire a bun in the oven? Kids scream and I like it quiet right now. Is it the lack of money? That feels like a strong possibility, but I’ve had money (insert obvious Notorious B.I.G. quote here).

With all these questions and discontent I needed to start small to make myself feel a lil better. Oddly enough I started feeling better just by bathing. And I don’t mean showering because I do that every day. I have no choice I am of Scottish and Irish descent. If I do not wash my hair everyday it looks as though I have not washed it in weeks. I digress. I am strictly talking about bathing. The act of drawing a bath, pouring in the fragrant bath salts, lighting a candle, and reading a book. There is something about this act that makes me feel indulgent and pampered. It was when I started bathing that I started to feel like things were important and interesting again. Why? No idea. Sound weird? I know I feel weird writing it. And it’s not like I just discovered what a bath is but for some reason it is pulling the funk right outta me. That actually sounded gross hunh? So if you’re in a funk I prescribe you to go buy some great smelly salts and take a bath.

Maybe while bathing I will figure out what the hell I want. If I could create my destiny, what would it look like? I cannot think of one person I would model my life after so I guess I have to dream up my own. Now that sounds like fun. And yes, I will have an El Camino with a Jacuzzi in the back. Boo ya.

1 comment:

  1. Katie CAM!!! SO glad I talked to you tonight (although I could barely hear you with the rain pounding on my car). I LOVE your blogs..I have read almost all of them and you totally crack me up (as usual). :o)

    Funny thing is, I was contemplating taking a bath just a few minutes ago rather than crawling in bed early with my half asleep semi-snoring boyfriend. I guess its obvious what I chose.

    Well girl, I can sure relate to your "bathing" blog.

    If you figure out exactly what you want to be when you grow up, can you pretty please with extra pink sugar on top let me know how the hell you figured it out?? I'll give you a dixie cup AND a hoodsie. I'm still trying to figure that one out too. Ugh.

    Hee Haws and lots of MWAAA's.

    This blog commenting is kind of fun. :o)
    Love, Donkie

    ReplyDelete