Monday, March 8, 2010

Bipolar City

Ahhhh New York.  So I am finally understanding the "if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere" saying.  I've lived in Costa Rica, Cape Cod, Denver, and now in Manhattan.  I can officially say that this is the most difficult, but amazing place I have ever lived.  Costa Rica, Cape Cod, and Denver all have beauty but they also lack what brings and keeps people in New York.  It has a life and energy that makes you want to jump out of bed on an early Sunday morning to explore or stay out of bed until 4AM.  You can't understand how bipolar this place is until you live here.  So to sum it up for those who don't, here are the lists that make New York amazing while also making life...challenging.

1) Pro: There are 3 grocery stores within one block of my apartment. Con: They all suck and charge waaay too much for wilted, soggy lettuce.  Pro: There is a Trader Joe's in Union Square that has $2 beautiful organic lettuce.  Con: The other 8 million New Yorkers shop there too.  While you shop you must weave around a line longer than the-last-Springsteen-show-ticket-campers at Giant's Stadium...and then wait in that line.

2) Pro: There are also 3 laundromats within one block that will take my laundry in the morning, wash it, fold it, and have it ready for 3PM.  One place will even send a sherpa to carry it for me.  Con: My white sheets and towels 8/10 times are blue when I get them back.  "Really? Again?"  I say each time.  "All you have to do is separate the jeans.  That's all, not tough, and I paid $2 for you to wash them separately.  I want my two dollars!"

3) Pro: There are tons of sports teams, social events, museums, landmarks, bands, etc.  Con: You want to do all of them all the time.  It's exhausting.  I was invited to an Oscars' party last night but after this weekend of playing with friends and my free writer's workshop I stayed for about 30 minutes then left.  And I don't even have that many friends that live here.  I would be a mess if I was a socialite (why are you laughing?).

4) Pro: You never have to drive anywhere.  There are the subway trains, buses, and taxis.  Con: You do not control these modes of transportation.  The subways can be so packed that just looking at the platform can put me in a claustrophobia panic attack.  The bus is inconsistent and you can wait upwards of 20 minutes when it would take you 15 minutes to walk.  And taxis?  Holy Jabeeb.  You have no idea what you are getting for a driver.  He could be the road rage maniac, the right-foot-brake/left-foot-gas-guy, the "I have no idea where I'm going guy", or the "I know where I'm going but I'm gonna take you the long way" guy.  It costs $3 just to get into the cab but I have jumped out of cabs because the guy was a having roid rage/made me wanna vomit/gave me whiplash/thought he was going to take me home and hack me into pieces.

5) Pro: There are about 4 million men to date in Manhattan alone, never mind the boroughs.  Con:  There are 4 million women for the men to date in Manhattan alone.  Therefore it is like speed dating on crack cocaine.  It's like taking tickets at a deli counter.  I now understand the genius of Seinfeld's dating hang-ups.  You can have them because there will always be more people to date.  No chemistry?  Next.  Weird left eye?  Next.  One giant hand?  Next.  Makes this joke on first date: "Know what the best part about kids is?...Making them."  Ummm NEXT. 

6) Pro: There are always people around.  Con: There are always people around.  Pro: Neighbors watch out for each other and I know a good number of people on my block.  I feel a lot safer in the city than I thought I would, especially living at street level.  Con: We all live very, very close to one another.  At midnight the guy above me rolls around in his rolly chair, doing god knows what, while Sally-the-slam-pig gets railed to my right.  I could at any point get cornered by upstairs Irene who wants me to help her in her crusade to bring down our building's management.  "Yes Irene I complained and they fixed it. No I don't feel the need to call 311 because like I said, it's fixed.  I'm sorry your hot water is inconsistent. Ok really, I gotta go. Yup. Yup. Yup. Ok. Ok. Ok. Bye."  Sweet god lord in heaven, let a sistah alone. 

7) Pro: This is the most expensive city in the US.  Why pro?  Because more people would live here if it was less expensive.  There are plenty of people here with more moving in all the time.  Con: I am one of the douches paying the high rent.  Granted I got my apartment at the right time and pay $1275/month,  (Taking about rent $$$ in NYC is like talking about the weather) it's still $1275/month.  But would I want to be paying $1275/month, as a single girl in the burbs, for a house?  No.  And I'm not knocking those that do, it's just not for me, right now. 

8) Pro: Central Park is an oasis out of the noise, stink, and filth of the city.  There are always races and events happening.  Looking for solitude?  You can find a quiet little niche in there somewhere.  Con: Nada.  There is no con to the park.  So when #s 1-7 drive me to consider leaving, I simply walk in the park and remember why I am here.

**I decided to stop ripping off photographers on the internet and take my own pics to post.  So from here on out you will only see my own photo skills (or lack there of).  

No comments:

Post a Comment