Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Blame it on The Booze


I don't know when it started. I think Danielle was the first to point it out. I would ask her a question about a trip or her family and she would squeal "Katie!". I could have sworn she never shared the details. But as time went on, and my friendships grew, I realized details of friends' lives were erased like I was abducted by memory seizing aliens. The worst was when I asked a friend how her cousin was doing in her fight against lymphoma (I may not even have that detail right). Her cousin had already passed away. Yes, that bad. Needless to say I wanted to shrivel up and die. How could I forget a MAJOR detail like this? And I'm not really sure. I talked to my cousin about this and she said that I've been this way for so long that she just repeats the detail without calling me out on it. What? So I've been this way so long that she has grown accustomed to ignoring my handicap. Was it from all the booze I've drunk in my life? Good possibility. I am known as a boozer. Or is my brain just not wired to hold onto certain details? How can I remember the latin names of beach plants from my coastal ecology class I took 9 years ago (beach grass is Ammophila breviligulata) but I cannot remember that a good friend's cousin died? Oh and her sister had a baby in May but on the phone yesterday I was convinced she was still pregnant or that I wasn't told. I am certainly no savant, but I sure can be an idiot.

I'm not sure if I will ever understand why my brain behaves this way. It certainly makes me want to document every detail of my friends' lives so I do not feel like a total ass for the rest of my life. So to all my wonderful friends I am so sorry for all the things I have forgotten in your life. For now, we'll blame it on the booze, not the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment