Monday, August 31, 2009

Where Have All The House Parties Gone?


I was driving down the street today in Massachusetts when I saw a gathering of people in their late teens, early 20's. I felt a wave of nostalgia thinking about all the house parties I've been to. Walking into a house full of people you didn't know and the potential for meeting some hot guy to make-out with. What the hell ever happened to the house party? And I don't mean the "hey I'm having a dinner party and you'll know everyone there". No I mean a straight-up singles mostly, not decorated, initially awkward (until you're 5 beers in), flip cup playin', thrilling house party.

For me it has slowly been replaced by dinner parties or bars. Dinner parties are the sophisticated version of the house party. But I rarely am introduced to other single straight men. Bars are now the closest thing to a house party. But it is a lot more expensive and you don't have any connection to anyone there. So meaning if I meet a guy at a bar, none of my friends, or friends-of-friends can give me any background info on him.

It kind of makes me sad. Is it possible to bring the house party back? I've had BBQs at my parents' house with minimal turn-out. Why? Most of my friends are in relationships or married and who cares about a house party when you're in a relationship? It's like who cares about bars when you're in a relationship. They are both means to catch up with friends only. Not to meet your potential mate because you already have one. I went to a house party on St. Patty's day this year and it was really fun but it still wasn't the same. And I'm not completely sure why.

Today on my 31st birthday I'm longing for the excitement of an approaching house party. Guys just waiting for the chicks to arrive. That actually sounds like a strip club or a cat house. I mean a house full of people you know, and don't know, just looking to socialize and potentially have a make-out session in the backyard. If I could pull one together now I would, but I guess I have to accept that the house party for me is pretty dead. It's not as free and fun as it used to be and I don't own a house anyway. Having a house party at my parents' at my age isn't cool anymore, it's sad. So if anyone wants to have a house party, invite friends and friends-of-friends, know that I am in. Long live the House Party.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of Killington late nights... *sigh* nothing like partying with wasted randoms! so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is exactly what i'm talking about. they have recently just disappeared from my life. i can't handle it. is there a house party supplement i can take?!

    ReplyDelete