Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Buy


Listen, I don't work for Rolling Stone or Brooklyn Vegan and I certainly have nothing but street cred for my solid ear (and by street cred I mean self-felicitations). But you need to buy these TODAY unless you're into Enya or something ridiculous like that.

DRUMMER: I came across this band via Ohmyrockness.com. Little did I know that I was about to be fish hooked. The most well known member is Patrick Carney of The Black Keys on bass. The other members include Jamie Stillman of Teeth of the Hydra, formerly of Party of Helicopters (guitar), Jon Finley of Beaten Awake, also formerly of Party of Helicopters (vocals, guitar), Stephen Clements of Houseguest and Six Parts Seven (keys, vocals) and Greg Boyd of Ghostman and Sandman (drums). My friend Ryan classified them as "power rhythm" and rightly so being that they are all drummers from their other bands.

My brother and I saw them play at the Mercury Lounge in October. They sounded clean, tight, and just like their album. But they did not interact with the audience much.  I think some guy may have pissed them off in the front row.  But seriously just buy their album "Feel Good Together" immediately, if not sooner, and I will take your "thank you" in advance.


ROYAL BANGS: Opening for them were Royal Bangs. Holy Lord, they totally rocked my world. Great beats and unexpected rhythm shifts. My brother actually yelled out "you're a lot better than I thought you were gonna be" breaking a brief silence (not sure what would've come out of his mouth had he not loved them). The band heard him too because when we talked to them outside the guitarist actually asked him if he was the one that yelled it. They are cool guys too (at least through a beer haze they were). I do have a lil crush on the lead singer now and his voice. So don't pass by their music. Check out the songs "Brother", "Handcuff Killa", and "Poison Control". Or just buy all 3 of their albums and SEE THEM LIVE! You're welcome.


TIMBER TIMBRE: They opened for the Royal Bangs and I regretfully missed them. If you like the recent explosive revival of folksy, rural-living indie you will like these guys. Check-out "Lay Down In The Tall Grass" and "Like a Mountain". Great curl-up-by-the-fire or contemplative traveling music.

No comments:

Post a Comment