Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Just A Spoonfull of Money


Ahhh life. Makes you think sometimes: What the hell am I doing?! This recent thought came to me when I was health insurance shopping. Fun? You betcha. My COBRA from the last job I quit is about to expire in January. My current company is Canadian and doesn't understand that $400/ month only covers my lovely (oh how I will miss thee) COBRA. I found the 3 major health insurance providers in NYC. My coverage options:

$150/month: Emergency hospital care only (but reviews stated that most hospital bills they sent in were "not covered")

$450/month: $3,000 deductible, no office visits covered (so what am I paying for? I'd rather fill a swimming pool with money like Scrooge McDuck)

$1490/month: (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-vomit)

I mean what is going on in this city/world? The only way I would qualify for reduced health care is if I made under $20,000. If I made $20,000 I sure as hell wouldn't be living in NYC. This city hoses you with city taxes, $6 canned soups, and the highest rent in the country. Now they're gonna charge $1490 for one person's health insurance?! I'm 31, no major medical issues, no monthly prescriptions, I get a physical and PAP every year, and they are gonna charge me that?! I am so disgusted with the industry that I simply wanna give them the bird and start building that damn coin pool.

I mean I've always known that health insurance is expensive but New York is absurd. At least in Massachusetts there are more options, less expensive ones at that. Getting a job with benefits certainly outweighs a position with a slightly better salary. My Canadian company just has no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment