Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Rescue

"What is that crawling up your arm?" Polly said looking at me while trying to keep her eyes on the road.
"Ew it's like red lice or something," I said squashing it with my thumb.
"Oh my god are you gonna have lice now?"
"I have no idea," killing another one. 
"I can't believe we're rescuing this thing right now you are nuts," Polly replied when the light turned green.
"I thought it was a good idea until this moment." 
We were only 5 minutes into a 25 minute drive.  I looked down at the creature which appeared to be reading a small book very quickly.  I felt badly for it but was also feeling pretty badly for myself considering I had lice moving at a feverish pace up my arm.  I had limited access to my digits being that I needed both hands to cradle the feathered animal.
"You should have just let it die on the side of the road."
"I was just thinking the same thing."

We stood on her porch talking when it happened.  A white pick-up truck screeched to a halt.  Then drove-off.  A second later we heard some rustling.  We looked at each other then I said "I think a bird just got hit."
"I hate birds," said Polly.
"You hate birds?"
"Yeah totally freak me out."
"Well, I'll go over and check it out."
I walked the 30 feet to the noise slowly.  I was not sure what I was about to encounter.  Pondering what state the bird may be in.  Worst case scenarios popped into my head.  If it was bad I may have to kill it.  Up to this point the only living things I have ever killed have been mosquitoes, spiders, and plants.  Oh and a rabbit, accidentally, a story for another time.  Was I going to have to ring the bird's neck?  Hit it with a shovel?  Curb it?  I looked around at the other Denver row houses hoping a brawn man would come to my rescue.  No one was around.  I stepped around the parked car blocking my view and saw it flailing in a circle.  
"It's not bloody," I yelled to Polly.
"Well that's good."
"But it's in the middle of the road and could get run over."
She didn't reply.
"Do you have an old towel?"  I asked secretly hoping for a no.
"Yeah.  Why?  What are you going to do?"
"Ring it's neck."
"What?!"
"Kidding.  I want to get it out of the road."
"And do what with it?"
"I dunno, let it get its bearings."
"It's bearings? Oookay."
She ran into the house and grabbed a towel.  She walked briskly down the street to me and extended her arm out as far as she could while leaning back and looking away.
"You're gonna pick it up?"
"I guess. "
Polly screeched a little and shuttered.  I threw the towel over it and slowly tucked the wings back in.  It was trying still to fly but was putting up less of a fight than I thought it would.  We walked back to her front steps and she said "What do we do now?"
"I have no idea."
"Is there a wildlife number?"
"I have no idea."
"But it's a pigeon.  No one cares about pigeons."
"I know."
"I'll call our veterinary clinic, maybe they know?"
"Great idea."
She asked if they accepted pigeons then shut her phone.  "Yuuup.  I guess we're going to Littleton."
"Huh I guess people do care about pigeons."

When we got there we both expected the Vet Tech to look at us like we were nuts.  Instead she took the pigeon out of my hands and asked if we wanted the towel back.  "Ummm nooo thanks," Polly responded.
"So what are you going to do with the lil guy?" I asked.
"Well we'll examine him and decide what to do then."
"Ok can we call and check on him tomorrow?"
"No we don't really do that because it's wild."
"Oh ok.  Oh by the way..."
"Yes?"
"Am I gonna have lice now?"
"No they only like birds.  But you should wash your hands and arms. The bathroom is right there."

As we walked out to the car Polly asked "You think they're gonna kill it?"
"I don't know.  Probably.  Bet that's why we couldn't call tomorrow."
"But he looked better," Polly cheered.
"I know.  Those are some picky red lice hunh?"
"Yeah you'd think they'd get a meal where they could." 
"I probably shouldn't take it personally, huh?"

True Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment